Senator Barrack Obama won by what many would consider a landslide as far as electoral votes. Now the question is will it be the same old same old? or will positive change begin for this country? we badly need it, the country is caught in a whirlpool and it's getting stronger. Does Obama have what it takes to make the right change? the highest priority for the majority of Americans is most definitely the Economy, somewhere after that is Iraq/Afghanistan. We have to heal ourselves from within before we can go out there and help other countries, that may sound selfish of us but we are giving so much out and we aren't getting anything in return from any of these countries that we assist. What we do get is as a country is being maligned and disrespected. Not that we haven't deserved that under the reign of George Double Yah. We need to quit pointing fingers (realize that when you point one finger at someone else there are 4 pointing back at oneself) and to create in a positive fashion the need for stability in this country itself.
Yes, Texas voted as expected ~ republican. The question I ask myself is how many of the voters actually voted because of a republican candidate or because of prejudice that the democratic nominee was black? prejudice is still very much alive and well in the south let me tell you. I hear the "N" word quite often here... and I hate that word with a passion, it's no different than a Mexican being called a "beaner" (I had heard that term before many times but had no idea what it meant till I asked a Mexican man and I was appalled) or a Gay man a "faggot" or a lesbian "dyke"... it's a truly sad way to think, feel and be. I know prejudice doesn't just exist in the South but it IS very strong. We are all the same inside our skin tone & languages are a bit different that all...we are ALL aspects of a rainbow aren't we? *smile*.
No, Texans and the south isn't all bad, in fact a significant part are very nice, respectful and open minded people. But, there is a equal and maybe even more prevalent part that are stuck in the past and are repeating the lessons of the pulpit of the churches. Lots of "one day a week Christians" in this part of the world...but there are bunches of them where ever you look in this country. Sad but true.
Okay... I'm tired. Probably didn't make any sense. Even more probable is the fact it was disjointed... I was jumping around too much.
Key point? Lets hope the next four years are good and productive for the United States. The key word?? is that we have HOPE again.
Blessings*
I like the finger pointing statement, the four pointing back. I believe Obama will take a measured and methodical approach to start the healing :o)
ReplyDeleteLoved the key point!!! Linda
ReplyDeleteVery good entry. I don't think TX voted against BHO because he's black but because of the issues. I have many friends who live there & they don't believe in abortion or spreading the wealth. Love the figer pointing ... I use that all the time.
ReplyDeleteVery good entry you summed it all quite well, your country has hope again.
ReplyDeleteTake care
Yasmin
x
'one day a week Christians' Hee.... girl, you know how I voted. ;-P
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling of hope, tempered with the reality that it will all take time.
ReplyDelete:) Leigh
I think we are on the right path. My concern is that people won't realize we didn't get in our current mess overnight, and it won't go away overnight. We have to give Obama time to sort it out and make the right approach on what we need. Great post, like everyone else love the finger pointing anology. (Hugs)Indigo
ReplyDeleteI agree with all those who said that this will not be a quick fix, getting out of the mess we're in. I hope (there's that word again!) that we will see progress in many different aspects, and that this is just a start.
ReplyDeletePrejudice is everywhere, sad to say. I hear it often in Indiana.
Hugs, Beth
So we hope and push for the change-Here in California we got part of it right but still lost on equality. Dannelle
ReplyDeleteI'm beginning to resent this idea that if one didn't vote for Obama then one must be racist. I chose my vote based on things other than race... and I'm sure I am not the only one that did.
ReplyDeleteWe can only pray and think positive thoughts. Time will certainly tell but GW is leaving a huge mess right now. It won't be cured overnight. I'm staying positive. Love the finger pointing....love the entry! HUGS
ReplyDeleteIn some ways I feel a sense of hope, and yet I hear about all the states that voted against gay marriage I wonder if the GLBT community will ever be treated equally.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Connie
It still amazes me how many people can blame one person for the state of our economy....as if the President is the "only one" that is the decision maker in govt.
ReplyDeleteWhere is the blame towards the greed on Wall Street, in the airlines industry, the auto industry, etc? Their executives continue to make a multi-million dollar salaries, yet at the same time they have their hands out for the multi-billion dollar hand-outs from the govt. So screwed up.
"If" things change, I doubt it will be because of whoever is President. It will change when Americans decide to change. We ultimately have the power if you really think about it. Unfortunately, I think this election has reminded us of just how divided we are as a nation and we may not ever recover from that.
My wish is that Obama puts together a committee that can find areas in which the govt is mercilessly wasting our taxpayer money and put a stop to it rather than overlooking it and simply raising taxes on those of us that work for a living. AND instead of handing over billions to the banks, airlines and automakers - give it to us.....who will gladly spend it and keep this economy going.
Ok.....way too serious for a Saturday morning...lol.
I see & hear so much preju*ice in Texas every*ay, so I am aware of it first han*. I am overjoye* that Obama *i*n't nee* Texas to win. I am looking forwar* to the changes we will see ahea*. Sorry about my spelling. I am missing a letter on my computer.
ReplyDeleteXX
Hmmm? Can't help but note the "BHO" reference on the earlier comment : / Who uses the "H"? Anyhoo..I was expecting to be up most of the night waiting for the election results. I was estatic! All I sayw in McCain was an angry man stuck in the war monger mentality. And from what I've seen over thepast week that rest of theworld is expecting Obama to be a diplomat rather than a warrior.
ReplyDeleteEnough hate, we need to get over the race issues. I have theory that in 100yrs that we are going to be truly a nation of poeples whose family trees are a mix of races.
Did you know in New England, "Beaner's" are people from Boston (Beantown-Boston baked Beans) & they love the term. I don't tolerate any terms of disrespect. Like you said..when a finger is pointed....
hugsss...