
Traditional Banana Pudding
Supplies needed: Medium Stainless Steel pot (warmed),
Bowls, measuring utensils & cups, 9 x 14 Oven Proof Casserole Dish (or
whatever you have on hand), Mixer or Whisk (strong arm required so
Mixer is better).
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Pudding:
2 Cups whole milk
2 Tablespoons softened butter
2 eggs, separated
1/8 Teaspoon salt
1/3 Cup flour
1 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup sugar (this is to be used for topping)
1 box of your favorite vanilla wafers
1 Teaspoon vanilla (add more according to your preference)
4 bananas
In a warmed stainless steel saucepan (make sure your burner isn't too high, medium heat is the best or it will scorch) put the butter, then sugar, then flour ~ add 2 the two egg yellows (beat them first), add milk and salt ~ whisk together in saucepan continually for approximately 10 minutes or so, watch closely so it doesn't scorch on the bottom ~whisk until the mixture reaches a custard like consistency, remove from heat once the custard reaches the right stage. Add vanilla (again use more or less according to your preference) stir until thoroughly combined with custard.
Line the bottom of the casserole dish with a layer of vanilla wafers, slice the bananas and put a layer of these on top of the vanilla wafers.
Add half of the custard mixture on top of the vanilla wafers and bananas, spread out ~ add another layer of vanilla wafers and sliced bananas then top with remainder of custard.
The Topping
:
Put 2 egg whites into the mixing bowl, start whipping the egg whites, slowly over a course of a few minutes add the 1/3 cup sugar, whip the whites & sugar till it reaches the "stiff peak" stage.
Add/spread the egg whites to the top of the pudding, making it as simple or as intricate as you like!
Place in oven for approximately 4 minutes to make the topping brown just a little bit, watch closely so it doesn't burn ~ like I said it only takes about 4 minutes! so it's very quick.
Spoon out and serve :) Enjoy!
Sounds yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteNew look for you- recipes? Now you're in my territory lol. Dannelle
ReplyDeletemmmm between your banana pudding a chrissies banana cake I'm never gonna shift those extra pounds lol..thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteYasmin
xx
thats a complicated banana pudding for no reason. I make banana pudding better and faster lol. Thats what i have a taste for that and rice pudding got any rice pudding recipe's?
ReplyDeleteYUMMO!!
ReplyDeleteGeez who can loose weight around here.
Teresa I LOVE LOVE banana pudding. This is how my Granny use to make it. Served nice and hot from the oven.
I will have to make this some time and give it a try. Me and meringue don't do to well. I'm not good at it.
Oh man, now I'm hungry! I love this recipe.
ReplyDelete:) Leigh
Sounds delious!!
ReplyDeleteI'm definately going to give this a try! I have a terrific recipe for lemon pie filling and what a difference a good pudding recipe makes! I'm glad you are doing a few of your favorite recipes as I hear you are a pretty good cooker ; )
ReplyDelete*I'm sorry I'm so late getting here. Still can't get used to not getting alerts, I guess. lurve ya anyway