
Lemon Mousse
Supplies needed ~ 9 inch Springform pan, Spatulas, Mixer or Whisks, Medium pot, Medium Heat Proof Bowl, measuring implements, package of Lady Fingers (You will need 24 of them).
Ingredients:
(for the mousse)
8 eggs, separated (whites in one bowl, yellows in another)
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
the zest of 3 med. to lg. lemons
1/2 Cup cold water
2 Tablespoons powdered gelatin
(for the topping)
1/2 Pint heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Place a pot on the stove with approximately 2 inches or so of water (you will be creating a double boiler so estimate enough water in the pot but it must not touch the bottom of the bowl) bring to a simmering boil...
Meanwhile, in a heat proof bowl add egg yolks, start whisking or using a mixer on low, slowly adding the sugar till it reaches a pale yellow color, it will gradually become thick.
Add lemon juice and lemon zest and whisk/mix further till well incorporated. Put bowl on top of pan with water that has been brought to a simmering boil and stir very regularly (don't answer the phone, check your emails or anything while this is going on, it needs to be payed CLOSE attention to or it will curdle or burn) using a spatula (or whisk preferably) while stirring, it will reach a heavy custard like consistency (will take approx. 10 to 15 minutes). Towards the end of the thickening process, in a separate bowl take the 1/2 Cup cold water and mix in the gelatin, stir till thoroughly mixed together & let sit. Once the custard is done remove from heat and slowly mix in the gelatin mixture.
Set aside...
Now, take the egg whites, using a mixer (or whisk if you have a strong arm LOL) beat till it reaches stiff peak stage...
Take the egg whites and slowly, gently FOLD into the custard that you've made until completely mixed (don't over do it here or it will ruin it).
Line Springform pan with the Lady Fingers on the bottom, carefully spoon in the Mousse mixture and level it across the top. Place in refrigerator for about a hour to hour and a half (you want it to firm and become completely cold).
While it's setting up in the refrigerator take ~ but towards the end of the hour/hour and half...
In another bowl, put heavy whipping cream and beat with mixer (or whisk) slowly adding the powdered sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time till it reaches whipped cream texture.
Remove Mousse from refrigerator and either spread whipped cream on with a spatula or take a pastry bag with a "8/64" tip and dot all over the top of the Mousse with the whipped cream. Carefully remove Springpan form ~
Garnish as you desire.
Finally "enjoy" :)
This is a lovely recipe...absolutely yummy!!
I didn't create this recipe I found it somewhere or other either online or in a recipe book, I can't remember LOL.
Very pretty looking. That would be nice for a party.
ReplyDeletedeb
Wow, Teresa, have you made that? It looks so good and so pretty. I know mine might taste good but would never be that visually pretty. Hope you're having a good weekend! HUGS
ReplyDeleteThat's a heck of a thing to see first thing in the morning. Now my Peanutbutter toast seems kind of bland.....
ReplyDelete:) Leigh
It does look really good!
Thank you for leaving such kind words in my blog. :)
ReplyDeleteOn another note thanks for posting this recipe and picture. I am starving and come and see this! lol
I hope that you have a great Sunday...
My stepdaughter loves anything lemon I think I will have to try making this one for her. She would love it. Linda
ReplyDeleteyummo!
ReplyDeleteI love lemon anything. Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteTake care, Chrissie
I can't see the picture, but it does sound delicious. I love anything lemon. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh My God. Pure Sin! I've gotta make this! I absolutely LOVE anything lemon!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the recipe!!!
Love ya,
Connie
ooOOOOO...I'm snagging this one, too. I thought the same thing as Chris, "WoW, Teresa, You make this?" I have a neighbor with the Ponderoasa Lemons as big as grapefruit & so juicy. Thsi would be great to make and share with them.
ReplyDeleteThanks darlin'!