2.25.2009

Photobucket

Sorry it's been awhile since I last wrote. Between work, working on the house and just not having the energy to formulate thoughts and write them down.

I've been working but it's been very slow while being there ~ the economy is really affecting us (the restaurant) I am beginning to think the restaurant is failing, just call it a inkling, nothing of any surety. What I do know is the last couple weeks the General Manager has been very irritable & usually that equates to something isn't right within my knowledge. People are tipping terribly, demanding the most they can get yet the majority seem to think we don't need to make a living the same as they do. Again, as I've said before here and on my J'Land Journal ~ if you do not figure in at least a 15 % tip in your total when you dine out at a full service restaurant, then please go to a fast food place!! don't waste my time and hard work by insulting me. I give you great service I expect to be recompensed with an appropriate tip. Would you like to have your paychecks handed out based on someone else's whim? sheesh. The majority of Server's in the U.S. make approximately $2.13 an hour, the rest is supposed to made up in tips to reach minimum wage standards and believe me, the restaurants you work for do their level best NOT to have to pay you that minimum wage if at all possible when the tipping doesn't equal out to the said minimum wage. Enough of that.

The work on the house is proceeding slowly but nicely. The living room is almost finished ~ all that is left is replacing the windows ~ finishing putting the new baseboards in and the ceiling trim. Our furniture is on back order so as soon as it gets in stock it will be brought out to us...once that's done then I will decide on the curtains and window treatments. Cindy and I put up a new ceiling fan a week ago Monday ~ Cindy hates doing that, she's very leery of anything to do with electricity. I don't blame her frankly, it's a scary thing.

We had a bad storm come through a couple weeks ago and it blew off some roof shingles, brought down the top of a tree on top of one of the back sheds, satellite was out for a couple days. It had quarter size hail mixed in with it. A tornado touched down about 15 miles south of us, did a bit of damage to barns, sheds and things like that, farmers are having a hard enough time of it without that garbage happening. Even with that storm the majority of TX is under strict NO BURN zones, it's just too dry to risk burning anything yet there are idiots out there who do it anyway ~ anyway back to the house and property damage...the insurance guy came out to look at the damage finally yesterday and I guess he believed us LOL. Oh puhleeze.

Not this past weekend but V'Day weekend (that Saturday) Cindy and I went down to Galveston for the Mardi Gras there, took the boys with us since it was just a day trip. I didn't think we were going but Cindy decided we'd go about 9 a.m. Galveston is about 6 hour drive away. The island is recovering but very slowly after the Hurricane. There is still so much damage but these people are trying their utmost to bring things together. Right now they can't even rebuild anything because they haven't got a building engineer to inspect and release building permits (the City of Galveston has gone through FOUR of them since the hurricane, the engineers apparently can't take the pressure of so much work to do) needless to say they are at a stalemate. Alot of the historical buildings were damaged, most of the restaurants haven't reopened etc. it's sad.
Anyway, about an hour and a half out of Galveston as we started to go through Houston it started raining buckets and it kept raining buckets all the way to Galveston, we wound up only staying a little while because of the rain, but those Galveston residents were still trying to pull off the parades! Kudos to them, I was very proud of their spirit. It rained almost all the way home too ... again even with that rain it's still so dry.

Okay, need to get ready for work, thought I would let everyone know what's going on.
I hope everyone is doing well.

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. hi teresa,nice to hear from you.its as bad over here in UK,im afraid many small restaurants are going through a hard time.even the more well known are closing.as for tips,its so rare i eat out these days,but i always gave 15%.as long as the service was good,sadly often not the case over here,yake care,mort xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, so glad you posted hon, I have been wondering how you were and planned to email you today, but you beat me to the punch, lol.My hours at work have been slashed big time, I agree with you about the tipping, I always tip well for good service, will be sending you mail soon, Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are doing OK, hope business picks up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear from you, Teresa, and hear that you are well. I hope things will pick up soon, but it's getting rough out there all over, isn't it?

    You'd like to have me at your table...if the service is good, I usually tip 20%!

    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things are going Ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALWAYS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU...
    I ALWAYS THINK OF YOU WHEN I TIP....I HAVE SEEN THAT THE RESTAURANTS AROUND HERE ARE SUFFERING TOO...

    CAN WE SEE PICS WHEN YOUR HOUSE IS ALL DONE?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see a post from you Teresa! I have missed you. Having been a waitress I know how hard you work and for a pittance. Tips are the only thing that makes it worth while. Without them, it's not worth the bother! I always try to leave 15% plus a bit extra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to see you here!
    It sounds like you girls are really coming along with the house redo-would love to see pics when you're done-I know what you mean about electricity, I just get someone else to take care of that.

    I'm sorry to hear things are going so badly at work, hang in there. I very rarely go out to eat, and miss it(just can't afford it), but being a former waitress, I am an overtipper!

    Take Care and Hugs to you and Cindy! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never quite get the "tipping terribly." If I can't even afford a decent tip, that is a tell tale sign to me I need to be eating at HOME. Great to go on a day trip but that one had a sad element as well.
    I hope things pick up at the job, but I know for a while it may be in the other direction.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought of you the other day when Jesse & I went to OG! I was so happy to sit in the non kid section......LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to see a post from you, sorry things at work are slow, this recession is hitting everybody hard and your minimum wage sounds Dickensian to say the least, and that's made harder when you depend on tips. glad the home improvements are going well and you enjoyed your trip to Galvaston.

    Take care

    Yasmin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how draining it is getting work done on the house. Hope the restaurant picks up. Your in my houghts and prayers on the smoke dear friend. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete